Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Favorite Meal

My baby, MJ, just turned 8 this month. When I asked him what he wanted to eat for his birthday meal, he said grilled cheese and tomato soup. We really do love grilled cheese and tomato soup. I make a loaf of white bread in my bread machine and slice it up thick, texas toast style. I slice up some cheese and butter up that bread, and grill them on my grill pan. I prefer to use Trader Joe's carton of tomato soup...but, I couldn't get out to Trader Joe's so I got some natural tomato soup from my market in town, not as good, but was still a good dipper. Our new/old favorite salad lately is the Mandarin Orange Salad. Oh my goodness...this is so good! I've been making it for many years, but hadn't made it in awhile...it's so much fun to re-discover a recipe! Here's how to make it if you haven't made it before!


Mandarin Salad
¼ cup sliced almonds
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar

romaine lettuce
2 med stalks celery, chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges

Sweet and Sour Dressing:

¼ cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp snipped parsley
½ tsp salt
Dash of pepper

Shake above ingredients in tightly covered jar; refrigerate. Cook almonds and sugar over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted and almonds are coated. Cool and break apart. Store at room temperature. Place Romaine (chopped), celery and onions in salad bowl. Pour Sweet and Sour Dressing over salad and toss; add orange segments and almonds. 4-6 servings.

There's my little hunk. Mmmm Mmmm Good!

Today is my Sewing Wednesday...doing hems and repairing jeans for a client...and hoping to get some linings cut out for my little pillowcase skirts that I have been working on!


Shower time...


XOXO Tiffany


"I realized that I was carrying two cargos. Yes, one of them was horror, but the other one was hope" Little Bee by Chris Cleave

No comments:

Post a Comment