Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My New Green Drink!

Can I just say...Yum! I saw this recipe on a favorite blog of mine: The Girl Who Ate Everything...but she got it from another blog (that is also a new favorite) Mommy In Manhattan. Sorry! I still haven't figured out how to do links. I'm techno challenged.


Well, a couple of weeks ago, I was making a green drink in the morning...it had:

English cucumbers

frozen peas

broccoli

onion

cottage cheese

ice

This was not good. I literally had to gag it down. When I was making this new green drink, my son got really scared...not because I would make him drink some...no, it was because he was worried that I would reek of onions the rest of the day! After that last green drink, I practically had to wear a surgical mask b/c of the onion stench. Well...not with this green drink~! Here's what I did:

In my fabulous Vita-Mix, I loaded in:


3 handfuls of baby spinach

1 cup of milk

1 banana

4 ice cubes

1 heaping tbsp of peanut butter (natural)

1 scoop of protein powder


I blended it up until all the spinach turned to liquid and made my drink a yummy green shade. The kids were scared as they watched me...I took my first sip, paused, and said "Yum!" The girls immediately wanted to try some (they had seen my puckered up/gagging reaction to previous green drinks), so I poured them each a little glass, because I know them, and knew that they would gobble it down. With MJ, I asked him to have a little sip of mine...he was cautious...but tried a little sip, he asked for more, and before I knew it, he was picking up my glass and drinking it on his own! I call that a huge success! He is my toughest critic. Now I have to see if I can get Matt to drink a glass...another tough critic.


The original recipe called for almond milk and almond butter...which I'm sure are two healthier options...I just used what we had on hand and will continue to do so. I'm going to play with it a bit and see how much spinach I can get in there without noticing a change in the taste.


So...last night, I made another new recipe (2 in one day!) for dinner...it was awesome!!! I got 5 thumbs up, and that's tough to do in my family. I will share that recipe soon!


Today I will be:

doing a 1/2 day of homeschooling

sewing curtains for my family room

bringing the girls to swim team

bringing Daisy to her soccer clinic in a dome

running 3 miles on the track in the dome!


Have a great one!

XOXO Tiffany


"Some walks you have to take alone" Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment