Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Amish Baked Oatmeal

I have always LOVED oatmeal. I didn't get it at home growing up, my mom won't touch the stuff...but both of my grandma's used to make it for me when I was there for sleepovers. I would have 5 or 6 bowls of it piled high with brown sugar and milk. A while back my brother shared this recipe with me...he, also, is an oatmeal lover...I modified it slightly, but this recipe makes the yummiest, chewiest oatmeal ever! It's almost like a chewy, warm granola in a bowl. My recipe makes a 9 x 13...but you could for sure 1/2 it and do it in an 8 x 8. I'll be honest...I don't "force" my family to eat this...I'll say, "do you guys want some oatmeal?". They always say "no", and I say, "OK". I secretly don't want to share this b/c it is just so good and that means more for me! I portion it out into bowls and put it in the fridge and then I can warm up "the best oatmeal ever" all week. Here's what I do:
Tiffy's Amish Oatmeal
½ Cup butter, softened
2 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 Tbsp Olive oil
3 ½ Cup old fashioned oats
Mix first 8 ingredients together until smooth. Stir in oats. Pour into greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

I have no idea what makes it "Amish"...but it is so good, I just don't care. You should try this!

Well, I started another "little" project this week. I am painting more wood trim (white) and making more curtains...this time for our sliding glass door in our kitchen. It is south-facing, and the sun just pours in. It's a little tricky when one is trying to eat or when the kids are doing school work. I put this project ahead of my slipcover project for the moment because this one seemed a little more urgent. Yesterday, I cleaned, taped, and primed the wood trim. Today I am going to put two coats of white paint on it...I am also hoping to touch up the red wall paint and get the curtain rod mounted. Then, tomorrow, I can get busy on the curtains. I have no idea how I want them designed! I better come up with something quick!

XOXO Tiffany
"Above were peaks of pure white snow which towered up into a cloudless sky like a roof of sapphire and tourquoise. The sun shone so brilliantly it almost seemed that one could see the flowers pushing their way up through the earth and unfolding themselves to receive the glory of its rays". Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard

No comments:

Post a Comment