Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Valentine's Dinner

I really LOVE Valentine's Day. We don't go crazy, we keep it pretty simple with a candlelight dinner at home. The kids love this. We change up the menu every year...sometimes we have steaks, sometimes it's spaghetti...but it's always one of our favorites.
"Gift Giving" is not one of my Love Languages...so my High School Sweetie never feels the pressure to get me something great. I don't need gifts at all...I'm more of a "Quality Time" type girl. In fact, I grabbed our Valentine flowers when I was at Costco last weekend. I thought they were so cute! Well, we decided to have our Valentine's Dinner on the 13th because my HSS has to head out of town on Valentine's Day (come on!). I had dropped the kids off at piano lessons (it's from 2:30-4pm) and quick ran to the library. Then I came home to get dinner/dessert started...I walked in the door and saw this!
The most gorgeous bubble gum pink roses, a strawberry scented heart candle, and little valentine buckets for the kids. Oh my goodness...I could get used to these kind of surprises!
Love pink roses and babies breath!
For dinner...I went simple with Taco Salad. We are typically running from one thing to another...with 3 kids in 5 different sports at the moment. So, it was...pick the kids up from piano eat dinner and take the girls to swim team. I'm sure you've all made this recipe at one point or another, but it is one of my most requested dinners. Here is the recipe!
Taco Salad:

1 lb ground beef
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 packet taco seasoning
½ bag Doritos, crushed
2 handfuls of baby spinach
2 tomatoes, chopped (or salsa)
8 oz shredded cheese
1 avocado, chopped (optional)
chopped black olives (optional)

Brown beef with onion. Add taco seasoning according to package directions. In large bowl, toss all of above ingredients.

Dressing:
½ cup Western dressing
½ cup taco sauce

Mix dressing ingredients together and toss with the rest of the taco salad.
Then for dessert...I had seen this recipe here...here's what I did:

Red Velvet Cookie Balls

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 package of Golden Oreos
1/2 tsp red food coloring
1/2 package of chocolate almond bark
sprinkles

Mix the cream cheese, cookies, and food coloring in the food processor until well blended and looks like dough. Form into little balls, cover and place in fridge for 1 hour. Melt your chocolate (I did 60 seconds in the microwave, gave it a stir, and then did 30 seconds more). Drop a ball into the chocolate, spin to cover completely, remove, sprinkle, repeat with next ball. I used a two-spoon technique that worked for me. Then, refrigerate for 1 hour. Yum!

I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day!!!

XOXO Tiffany

"On the horizon, he saw the full moon. God dropped it there, he was sure, as a reminder of our small place in the world. A reminder that what is beautiful is fleeting". The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud by Ben Sherwood

No comments:

Post a Comment