Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sewing Wednesday...Slipcover Project

The great reveal! Yes, you've been on pins and needles (ha)...here they are! My two little beauties...all dressed in white denim ruffled slipcovers.
This is how they looked when I brought them home in December 2011 from the Goodwill. I spent $9/each on them. I was originally going to spray them white and then re-upholster. I'm glad I didn't do either of those options.


I like the slipcovers because they can be removed and washed...and I like the little brown legs sticking out the bottom. To do this project...I made 5 pattern pieces. I just draped the fabric over the chair (wrong side up) and used some colored tailors chalk to mark my pattern. I made a pattern for the seat, the front chair back, and the back of the chair. Then I just measured up the frame of the chair to make a 2" x ?" strip to connect the front and back. And, then, I made my ruffles 6" x 180" for each chair. These little slipcovers are far from perfect...but I'm happy with them.


This little project took me about 9 1/2 hours. Not including the time to pre-wash the fabric. Though, I bet I could have done it in 7 1/2 hours if:

1. Nobody was home while I was working.

2. If I not been so thrifty in piecing together scraps for my ruffle.

I had PLENTY of fresh fabric left on the bolt...I could have just washed up another section and cut the exact strips that I needed and made those ruffles. But, for some strange reason, I get a real kick out of using up scraps. So, I cut, measured, and attached 360" of 6" ruffle to make the hem of this slipcover. I'm happy that I tackled this little project...however, I will probably not look for another project like this. Not my favorite thing to do. I prefer to make clothing.


Today...I'm hoping to make myself a new spring/summer hat. I came up with a new pattern and I cut it out yesterday...this morning I'll cut out the lining and then assemble the little guy. I hope it turns out!


Have a great Wednesday...Friday I'm hoping to post my most favorite Mint Chocolate Brownie recipe ever...oh, and I made a little St Patty's Day craft last night that I'll share.


XOXO Tiffany


"Woman can best re-find herself by losing herself in some kind of creative activity". Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

No comments:

Post a Comment