Friday, March 2, 2012

Snow...and Buttermilk Waffles!

My little Minnesota town is finally getting its snow. I don't care if it's March...I'll take it!
4:30am...I turned on the outside light to let my little Coco outside, and this is what we saw. Needless to say, she changed her mind.

I was about an hour and a half into my Sewing Wednesday slipcover project, when the kids started asking/begging to go to the sledding hill. This was supposed to be my "home" day! I wasn't supposed to leave the house ALL day! There weren't even any sports in the evening..."no", I wanted to say. Mama wants to stay home and have it all about me! I guess it will be in about 10 years when my baby turns 18. But, for now, it is all about my kids and this awesome snow day!


I took my kids and two of their friends to the sledding hill by our house. I thought, oh, 30 minutes and they'll be ready to head back. After over an hour of me reading Twilight (New Moon to be specific), I gave the horn a couple of friendly honks. "We have snow at home too kids...come on!". Mama wants to sew...I mean, really! So, I brought those kids home and made chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate...I'll share my hot chocolate recipe another time! So good! Then, the kids were back outside for hours upon hours...I got another 2 and a half hours in of slipcover sewing, and then, you guessed it, time to make dinner.


I really love Breakfast for Dinner. And, I've been on kind of a smoothie kick for breakfast lately, so I haven't been making the breakfast foods that I love. This was kind of a fun snowy day dinner. Buttermilk Waffles, bacon, and orange slices. These waffles are outstanding!


Here's the recipe...I actually got it out of my Hamilton Beach Waffle Makers little recipe booklet.

Buttermilk Waffles
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
6 tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten

In medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Stir in buttermilk, butter and eggs, stirring until thoroughly mixed. Pour a ladle full onto waffle iron that is hot and has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.


Beautiful!


I made a double batch of waffles so that I could freeze some! Just cool the extra waffles on a cooling rack and then put them in a freezer storage bag. Stick them in the freezer and then the next morning you can just plop them in the toaster. So much better and better for you than store bought waffles!


4 out of 5 of us like our bacon chewy...I do one batch of extra crispy for my Sweetie.


A bowl of orange slices to balance out that bacon. Daisy's friend stayed for dinner, and the 6 of us polished off 2 lbs of thick cut bacon. That's just not right. Oh, and after dinner, the kids were back outside for another hour, and after the kitchen was cleaned up, I got in another 30 minutes of sewing! Not bad!


I hope you try those waffles! And, have a great weekend! The kids are going to my parents this afternoon and then the girls have swim team. Then, they are swimming in the A/B finals this weekend...plus, some ice fishing, hanging out with my aunt/uncle/cousins, and also celebrating my mother-in-laws birthday! Oh, and another soccer game.



I'm off to get the laundry started and hop on that treadmill.



XOXO Tiffany



"Dare to begin to be happy, for the time is not long now, and I will give you your hearts desire". Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard

No comments:

Post a Comment