Monday, April 30, 2012

Blueberry Pie with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

 We spent most of our weekend in Blaine MN at a soccer tournament for Daisy.  So when Sunday evening rolled around...I was tired and stumped on what to make for dinner.  We had already had pizza a couple of times over the weekend, so that was out.  I decided to make Annies Organic Whole Wheat Shells & White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese.  It is the only store bought macaroni and cheese that is somewhat acceptable in  my opinion (and that of the 100 Days of Real Food Blog).  I bought a 12 pack of these on Amazon for like $25 with free shipping.  I thought $2 a box wasn't bad.  I only make this in a pinch.  So, I made two boxes of macaroni and cheese and did a big plate of carrots and grapes.  After dinner, I was needing/wanting a yummy dessert.  I asked the family if they would like Blueberry Pie and homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.  Oh, yes they would!  So, for the next hour and a half I found myself in the kitchen whipping up dessert.  Here are three recipes!

Homemade (whole wheat) Pie Crust:
This is quicker than running to the store to buy a box of Pillsbury crusts...and way cheaper!
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cubed
1/4 cup ice cold water

My mom always makes her crust in the food processor, so I do too.  Put your flour and salt in your food processor and give it a whirl.  Then, add your butter and pulse it until it looks crumbly.  Then, I fill a measuring cup with ice water, and slowly drizzle it in.  Then, take the dough out and divide into two balls.  You can wrap them and place them in the refrigerator, or use them immediately.

Roll one crust out and place in your pie plate.
 Blueberry Pie:
I got this recipe from a friend years ago...I changed the ending just slightly.

4 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter

In large  bowl, combine first 5 ingredients, mix lightly.  Spoon into pie crust lined pan.  Dot with butter.  Top with remaining pie crust.  Just press and fold around the edge of your crust.  Cut slits in several places in top pastry.  Bake at 425 for 45 minutes.  (I protect the edges of my pie crust with a metal disc so they don't get too brown...feel free to cut two thin strips of foil and cover just the edge of your pie).  Place your pie on a cookie sheet too!  Mine always likes to bubble over!
 Isn't she gorgeous?!?  I think you should wait about 10 minutes before slicing into this baby (it will set up), but I dug in immediately.  And then we topped it with homemade vanilla ice cream (as seen above).  Here is that recipe...

 Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream:
I make this in my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker...best investment ever!
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

I just put the whole milk, sugar, and salt in my Kitchen aide Mixer and mix on low speed until the sugar is dissolved.  Then add cream and vanilla.  Place this mixture in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.  Then, turn on your ice cream maker (with frozen bowl), and pour this creamy goodness in.  Let it go for 20 minutes and you have the best creamiest ice cream you have ever tasted!

Last week, the kids and I made Strawberry Ice Cream from the 100 Days of Real Food Blog.  It was just milk, cream, syrup, and strawberries.  It was good, but we were a little disappointed.  It wasn't a true dessert for us.  We need a little sugar in our desserts.  This was more like a really cold healthy strawberry yogurt.  Lucy is loving it for a snack...but I told Matt and the kids that we would try a Real homemade strawberry ice cream next time.  It is pretty though, isn't it?
 Well, have a great Monday!  We'll be homeschooling, going to piano lessons, and then MJ has swim team and Daisy has soccer.  "See" ya on Wednesday!

XOXO Tiffany

"May there be sufficient clouds in one's life to make a spectacular sunset".  The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons

No comments:

Post a Comment