Friday, April 13, 2012

Let's Make Egg Rolls!!!

 This is one of those recipes that my whole family loves!  I try to make them once a month...but they are so good that we are craving them every week!  I'll walk you through the process with my trusty little assistant Lucy (aka Lulu) and then I'll list the whole recipe at the bottom of my post.
 Here is our mixture of ground turkey with a little sauce, bag of cabbage, and sliced scallions.
 This recipe makes 30 egg rolls...you could 1/2 it, but what we do is make 15 one night, refrigerate the meat/salad mixture, and then make 15 fresh ones the next night.  The five of us have no problem pounding 15 of these.  If you have leftovers, you can microwave them, but they loose their crispy-ness.  Maybe you could heat them in the oven?  Or, maybe just make as many as you need.
 Lucy has become a professional at this.  Here's how we do it.
Place the egg roll wrapper in front of you at an angle (points up and down), and place a heaping tablespoon of meat mixture in the middle (kind of in a little sideways log).
 Bring the bottom point up and snug it around the meat mixture (you want your egg roll to be tight).
 The assistant hard at work in her "Yummy" tank.
 Fold the sides in like an envelope.  Then dip your finger in the egg yolk/water glue.
 Spread the "glue" across the top of your envelope.
 And then roll up tightly from the bottom.
 Beautiful job Lulu!!!
 Here is our stack of 15 egg rolls a-waiting the hot peanut oil.
 I place about a 1/2" of oil in the pan and heat it over medium until it's hot (5 min?).  I just want the oil to come about halfway up the egg roll.
 Then, flip them when they're golden brown.  This only takes about 3 minutes. 
 A nice crispy pile of egg rolls draining on a paper towel lined tray.
 I made homemade sweet and sour sauce.  The kids and I thought it was amazing!  Matt was not yet convinced, but he tried it after he finished our bottle of Leann Chin's sweet and sour sauce.  I think if he tried it first, he would be lovin' it!  It was warm and gooey and the first night, but after refrigerating it, it was a little too thick and goopy.  I may have over cooked it the first night.  I just microwaved it to loosen it up and it was just fine.  I'll make this again next month and let you know if the consistency is better.
I just served it with some fresh pineapple and dinner was served!  I hope you try these...they are amazing...and they are from my Auntie Lynnie who is an awesome cook.  Here's the recipe!
Auntie Lynnies Egg Rolls
1 lb ground turkey
1 tbsp brown sugar
1-2 tbsp Bragg's Aminos (or Coconut Aminos)
Salt and pepper
1 bag of coleslaw mix
4 Green onions, sliced
Cilantro, chopped
30 egg roll wrappers
Egg yolk + 1 tbsp water
Sweet and Sour sauce

Brown ground turkey.  Add next 3 ingredients.  Cool.  Mix in veggies and place one heaping tablespoon of mixture onto egg roll wrapper.  Fold up, egg roll style and seal last corner with egg yolk, using your finger.  Repeat with the rest.  Fry in hot peanut oil until golden brown on both sides.  Serve with Sweet and Sour sauce.

**to make these vegetarian...just sub the turkey for 2 cups of cooked bulgar.  Yummy!

Have a fabulous weekend!  My Sweetie and I are staying in St Paul for a couple of days for the...wait for it...Homeschool Convention!  Yep, we're dorks.  I can't tell you how excited I am for this conference.  It's so inspirational and the awesome curriculum choices are endless!  I'll probably bore you  with share all the gory fabulous details next week.  Eek!  I better keep cruisin'.

Tiffany

"When a woman says "What?" to a man, she didn't mishear him, she is giving him a chance to change his mind".  Haha!  Saw this one on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment