Monday, April 16, 2012

Whole Wheat Cheesy Pizza Fries...and next day Cinnamon Sugar Twists!

 Happy Monday!!!  I have a couple of recipes to share today...this first one I had alluded to a while back and then I had forgotten to post it!  So much good food, so little time!  Over the weekend, a friend on Facebook kindly asked if I would post this thing already!  So, here it is...my Whole Wheat Cheesy Pizza Fries.
 I start by making my whole wheat pizza dough in my bread maker.  This thing rocks...it only takes about 3 minutes for me to throw my ingredients in and 50 minutes later, I have 2 pounds of perfect pizza dough.  Here is my recipe for my whole wheat (it's actually 1/2 and 1/2...someday my kids will be eating 100% whole wheat crust...but, I'm taking baby steps) pizza dough.

Whole Wheat (1/2 and 1/2) Pizza Dough:
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp butter
2 cups bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp dry yeast

For my bread maker...I just layer the ingredients into the pan in the above order and then select the Pizza Dough setting and hit start.  Feel free to substitute another dough recipe.

Then, all I do is take the 2 lbs of dough out of the machine, and cut it in half.  I spray two medium sized bowls with non-stick spray and place the dough in each.  One bowl gets plastic wrap and goes in the fridge (recipe to follow!), the other bowl gets plastic wrap and sits on the counter for 30 minutes.  Here are the remaining ingredients and instructions for the Pizza Fries:

Whole Wheat Cheesy Pizza Fries:
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Parmesan cheese (grated or shredded)
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Italian seasoning
Pepper
Preheat your oven to 500 degrees and place your pizza stone inside.  After the 30 minutes, on a lightly floured surface, place one ball of the pizza dough down and roll out into about a 12 inch circle.  Transfer this to a sheet of parchment paper.  Mix butter and garlic in a small bowl and spread on dough.  Then sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.  Top with Italian seasoning and pepper.  Carefully transfer the parchment paper with your pizza dough right onto your hot pizza stone and bake for about 9-10 minutes until bubbly and golden.  (I turn my stone halfway through b/c the back of my oven gets hotter.)  Remove from oven and let sit for about 2 minutes before cutting.  Serve hot with marinara (optional).
 We had this on a Friday night and I just served it with fresh berries and some diced avocado.  Of course it would be wonderful with a big salad!

OK...what to do with the remaining pound of dough???  How about some Cinnamon Sugar Twists for breakfast the next morning???
 Cinnamon Sugar Twists:
1 lb of dough (see above)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 375.  Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 8 x 10 inch rectangle.  Slice the dough in half crosswise and then make several vertical slices, making strips about 1 inch wide.  Pick up one strip and dip it into the melted butter (slightly removing excess) and then dredge it in the cinnamon sugar mixture.  Give the strip a twist and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Repeat until all strips are buttered and cinnamon sugared.  Let rest for 10 minutes.  Then, bake for 18-20 minutes.  Makes about 16.

 Here they are ready for the oven.  (above)
Here they are out of the oven.  Yum!  I found both of these ideas on Pinterest and changed each one slightly.  You should give these a try this weekend!  Have fun in the kitchen!

I've got to get school started this morning...if you're in Minnesota, enjoy the 35 degrees and the snow.  Ha!

Tiffany

"Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them!"  Mark 6:31 in the Message Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment