Saturday, May 19, 2012

Almond Granola Bars (no bake!)

Happy Saturday!  We had a busy morning at a swim meet for Lucy and MJ...but now the rest of the day is mine!  The house is clean (Thursday), the laundry is all done (Friday), and the only thing on my list for today is to work on my "pile".  After this post, I think I will sit down and tackle it.  And, maybe prep Sunday's Soup, since we'll be gone all day.  I got a lovely email requesting some specific recipes...this was one of them, so I thought I would quick share it.  I got this recipe from a favorite cooking blog:  Iowa Girl Eats.  I LOVE these granola bars...and I really love them because you don't need to bake them.  Oh, and almond extract is my favorite.

Almond Granola Bars:
1 cup whole almonds (raw preferred)
1 cup pecans (or walnuts)
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup dried cherries, chopped if large (or craisens)
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp honey (raw if you can)
3 tbsp coconut oil (virgin and organic if you can)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
dash of cinnamon

Add 1/2 cup each of almonds, pecans, and oats into a food processor.  Process until fine then pour into a large bowl.  Roughly chop remaining almonds and pecans, then add to the bowl.  Add remaining oats, cherries, and sesame seeds...mix well.

Combine honey, coconut oil, salt, extracts, and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Stir until the mixture melts, then foams, then count to 15 and remove from heat.  Pour over nut mixture and mix to coat all ingredients.

Spray an 8 x 8 inch pan with non-stick spray.  Pour in granola.  Press firmly.  Cover with saran wrap and chill for about 4 hours.  Cut into bars and enjoy!

I'll be honest...I scoop out a little serving of the warm chewy goodness and eat it with a spoon.  There is no way I can wait 4 hours.  I'm warning you...this recipe is dangerous...you'll need to practice some restraint.  But, what a fun and healthy little snack!

I'm hoping to share a soup recipe on Monday!  Also...if anybody would ever like to "comment" on my blog...at the end of each post there is a little link that says "0 Comments".  If you click that, a little comment box will pop up.  Or, click on the title of my post and then it will be at the bottom.  It should be slick and easy...let me know if you have troubles...but, I welcome comments if you have any!

XOXO Tiffany

"Martha, Martha.  You are worried and bothered about so many things, but only one thing is necessary".  Luke 10:41-42  (I fear I totally would have been Martha in the house that day...)

6 comments:

  1. I am excited to try these Tiffany! I was happily surprised to find they are gluten free! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy sounds pretty simple..... And I know I would have been Martha, We gotta remember the "one thing" or the "one Person"that is... Hope you are done with your pile and enjoying your Saturday night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Ashley! I hope you had a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think it would be okay to substitute maple syrup for the honey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that would work wonderfully!!! Mmmmmm.

      Delete