Monday, May 7, 2012

Breakfast at Tiffany's and other menu planning

 I've really slacked off lately with my menu planning...I've been "winging it".  A lot of times when I try to wing it, we end up wondering what to eat for dinner.  The thing that works the best for me is to print off a blank monthly calendar and in each box write a B-, L-, and D- (for breakfast, lunch, and dinner).  Then, I start filling in.  I try to come up with a couple of themes.  Like on Sundays, I love to make soup and ice cream sundae's for dinner.  Meatless Monday's.  Salad Bar Tuesday.  Thursday needs to be easy because it is our craziest evening for the kids sports.  I would like to make a pie every Friday evening, so I planned for that.  On Saturday morning I am going to make a sweet bread (banana, blueberry, poppyseed, or zucchini).  We'll eat half of it on Saturday morning and the other half on Sunday morning. 

I will be sharing my weekly menu one week at a time and will post all the recipes for that menu throughout the week.  Some of them are already listed on here!  Matt is traveling this week...so it's just the kids and I until Friday dinner!  This is what we will be eating this week:
Monday:
B-Cereal
L-Chips and Cheese/Fruit
D-Homemade Corndogs/celery and carrots

Tuesday:
B-Homemade Almond Granola Bars
L-Cheese and Crackers/Corn on the Cob/fresh fruit
D-Salad Bar

Wednesday:
B-Homemade Bread and Apple Butter
L-Annie's Mac and Cheese/Carrots and Celery/fresh fruit
D-Stuffed Peppers

Thursday:
L-Leftovers (stuffed peppers)
D-Cheesy Pizza Twists (a new recipe!)

Friday:
B-Scrambled eggs and sausage/homemade WW Bread
L-Quinoa Muffins/Fruit/Homemade Cheese Crackers (on the go)
D-Spaghetti/Salad/WW Garlic Bread/Berry Apple Pie (Daddy's home!)

Saturday:
B-Banana Bread
L-Spaghetti Leftovers
D-Grilled Ham and Cheese with Pineapple Sandwiches

Sunday (Mother's Day):
B-Banana Bread
L-Hong Thai (take-out)
D-Enchilada Soup/Ice Cream Sundae's

So, that's it!  I'm going to get my grocery list together...I think I only need a few things.  It's nice though, because you can always switch things up as needed.  It's just so nice to have it all written down in one spot!  Maybe I'll share next weeks menu on Friday.

Last week I made a family favorite...Pannekueken!!!!  This one couldn't be any easier...I got it from my friend Susan...enjoy!
 Pannekueken
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Melt one stick of butter in 9 X 13 pan while the oven preheats.

          Blend in blender:
            1 ½ cup milk
            1 ½ cup flour
            6 eggs
            1 tsp vanilla
            dash salt

Pour in pan and bake 20-25 minutes.  Top with pure maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve with fresh fruit.  And, Susan always served it with 'Lil Smokies.  Yum!
A couple of little tips on how we eat over at the Millers...
We've been trying to eat LOTS of fruit and veggies.  I go to Costco every weekend and stock up...I let the kids pick out whatever they want...I don't buy processed foods/snacks anymore, so I feel like I just put that money toward our fruits and veggies.  I spend about $65/week on fruits and veggies.  We get:  watermelon, bananas, pineapples, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, apples, clementines, grapes, avocados, carrots,  celery, corn on the cob (whoops...I think that's a grain), spinach, romaine, pickles (heehee), peppers. 
I only have about two cereal options...Kashi Cinnamon Harvest (I got it on Amazon) and Grape Nuts.  These both have less than 5 ingredients on the label and seem like a somewhat healthy option.  They will have cereal about once or twice per week in the morning if they are not in the mood for whatever else I made, but they really love it for a bedtime snack.  And, Lucy drizzles honey on everything! 
The kids snack on lots of fruit.  I also buy dried fruit and raw nuts.  Cheese.  Triscuits and Wasa crackers. 
Here was today's lunch.  Chips and cheese (I used mozzarella), a big bowl of fruit, and some Mama Julies Salsa from the Minneapolis Farmers Market.   Stuffs good.
Have fun eating healthy!  Try to buy things with less than 5 ingredients...and you don't want any form of sugar to be in the top 3.  Go for whole/real foods!  We function on a 90/10 scale.  We try to eat real food 90% of the time...that way when we go out to eat or to a party, we don't need to stress.  We just have that account for the 10%.  We don't have pop or candy in the house.  These are just some little tips if you're interested!  I'll be sharing more along the way.

Have a wonderful Monday! 
The kids just went to Piano Lessons and then we have Soccer and Swim Team tonight.  

XOXO Tiffany

"I don't have to figure out the mess.  I do have to trust the One who can".  Grace for the Good Girl by Emily P Freeman

No comments:

Post a Comment