Monday, May 21, 2012

Enchilada Soup

 I was so proud of myself for prepping this soup on Saturday...Sunday got out of control!  We had church in the morning...9-10:30, small group 11-2, then I left for a bridal shower (for my cousin!) from 2-4:30, Matt left and dropped the girls off at a friends house, I picked the girls up after the shower (a beautiful bridal tea...loved it!)...of course I got to chatting..., rushed home to make dinner and get Daisy fed because she had soccer from 6-7pm.  Incidentally, she didn't have time to eat her soup, so we sent her out the door with a banana and she would have to eat her soup after practice.  Which she did...and then we made homemade vanilla ice cream.   
 This is the second time I have made this soup.  It is from the Farm Chicks in the Kitchen cookbook.  I love that cookbook.  I only changed one little thing at the end of the recipe...they temper the sour cream before adding it to the soup...I prefer to skip this step and let people add their own sour cream.  I doubled the batch this time because I am bringing a meal to a friend on Wednesday.  Here is the recipe:
Enchilada Soup:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups chicken, shredded or chopped
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
7 oz salsa verde
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
Juice from half a lime
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
sour cream and tortilla chips, for serving

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.  Stir in the onion and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes.  Stir in broth, chicken, black beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa, jalepeno, and chili powder; heat to simmering.

(On Saturday...I prepped the soup and stopped after adding the chili powder.  I put the soup in the fridge and then on Sunday I heated it to simmering and continued...)

To thicken the soup...add the water to the cornstarch in a small bowl; stir until smooth.  Stir this into the soup and simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir the lime juice and cilantro into the soup and serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.

My kids have always eaten spicy food.  Sometimes they say, "mom, this is really spicy".  I say, "I know, but it's so good for you and it makes you want to drink a lot of water, which is also so good for you".  Ha.  I want my kids to leave the house knowing what real food should taste like.  If one of them is ever struggling (Lucy did not want to eat her soup last night)...we just say, "Oh, that's fine, dad will eat your homemade ice cream for you".  Lucy ate all her soup.

Have a fabulous Monday!

XOXO Tiffany

"Whatever she saw or understood, she decided to stir the pot once more".  Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

4 comments:

  1. Linda SchoenbergerMay 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

    My dearest Tiffins. You are such a wonderful and creative wife and mother. I couldn't be more proud of you! I learn something new every day Your proud mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I learned from one of the best!!! Thank you for always making us "real" food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic, I have written down all the ingredients and will be making a grocery store run this weekend.. Thank you for sharing!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good LaVonne! I hope you guys love it!

    ReplyDelete