Monday, May 28, 2012

The Hawaiian Sandwich and menu planning

 Happy Memorial Day!  We got all our partying done on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...so now we get to have a nice relaxing "home day".  Well, I don't know about "relaxing"...our list is never short.  But, at least it's a home day. 

I made this sandwich a couple of weeks ago...it's one of my favorites!  I call it The Hawaiian Sandwich.  You'll need bread, cheese, pineapple slices, ham, basil, and butter. 
 I sliced up my homemade bread.  I just realized that I've never shared that recipe...I'll have to do that one of these days...
 Layer...bread, cheese, ham, basil, pineapple, more cheese, more bread.
 Pre-butter and grill.
Buttered and grilled.  (you'd never guess it..but the back side of these babies are charred!  The phone rang, pre-flip, another soccer mom wanting me to pick up her daughter for practice...yada yada...minutes later...smelled something burning...CRUMB!  My sammies!  Yes, they were blackened...but you actually couldn't taste the burnt stuff at all.  That was a close one.)
Here's the recipe all in one spot...

The Hawaiian Sandwich
Bread
Havarti Cheese
Ham
Fresh Basil
Pineapple slices
Butter

Layer up your sandwich...butter both sides....place on a medium/hot grill pan...grill, flip, slice, and enjoy!

Here's my menu for this week...I'm only going to list breakfast and dinner...we'll be doing leftovers and cleaning out the fridge at lunchtime.  Matt is out of town again, and we have a birthday girl on Friday, so it should be a pretty easy week, menu wise.  And, though I didn't always write it in, we'll be snacking on, and adding in, lots of fruit and veggies!

Monday:
B-Shop the fridge and cupboard :)
D-Clean out the fridge (girls will be at book club)

Tuesday:
B-Creamy Wheat
D-Creamy Baked Chicken and Potato

Wednesday:
B-French Bread and Apple Butter
D-Italian Dunkers/Salad

Thursday:
B-Honey Whole Wheat Pancakes
D-Mac and Cheese

Friday: (Lulu's 10th Birthday!!!)
B-Homemade Bagels and cream cheese (she planned the menu today)
L-Hong Thai and Red Velvet Cake (with chocolate frosting...I've never done it with chocolate (always with butter cream), but what the birthday girl wants, the birthday girl gets)
D-Jimmy Johns (on the way to Daisy's soccer game...maybe we'll stop for ice cream after)

Saturday:
B-Cranberry Quinoa Muffins
D-Lasagna Soup

Sunday:
B-Cranberry Quinoa Muffins
L-Small Group after church
D-Lasagna Soup
(I won't be making ice cream b/c the kids have their piano recital and there will be cookies after that.)

I can't decide if I want to paint today...or sew.  I need a can of paint and I don't want to go out and get it.  Maybe Matt needs to run out today and I can see if he'll grab it for me.  Otherwise, I'll be sitting at my sewing machine.  I'm looking forward to temps in the '70's.  Those 90's yesterday wiped me out!  We met friends out at Lake Nokomis in south Minneapolis (for pizza, beachy fun, and ice cream), and Kelly and I decided to run (OK, it was a walk/run) around the lake (only 2.7 miles)...it felt good at the time, but when I got home, I was exhausted and probably dehydrated.  I took an Excedrin and drank lots of water....I feel like a million bucks now and can't wait to enjoy this day!

XOXO Tiffany

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment: