Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Homemade Bagels...

 I just put my Amish Oatmeal into the oven and I thought I would share this recipe for Homemade Bagels.  I mean, really, there is not much better than a warm, chewy, homemade bagel.  These are not difficult at all.  Especially if you have a breadmaker.  The dough takes an hour and a half in the breadmaker...then you divide the dough into 8 sections...make little bagel shapes...let them sit for 10 minutes...boil the bagels in sugared water for 3 minutes...
 Place them on a greased pan...egg wash them and sprinkle with toppings...
 Bake for about 15-20 minutes...
 Get out the cream cheese...
 And, enjoy!!!
Homemade Bagels (using a breadmaker):
Layer the following ingredients into your breadmaker:

1 cup of water (warmed for 30 seconds in microwave)
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Set your machine to 1 1/2 lb, Dough Course and start it up! (Mine was setting number 11 and it took 1 hour and 27 minutes.)

Take your dough out and place it on a lightly floured surface.  Stretch and roll it out into a snake shape.  Divide it into 8 sections.  Pick up a section and mold it into a biscuit shape and then just pull the dough apart making a hole in the center.  Place each bagel onto a greased baking sheet.  Place plastic wrap over the bagels and let them sit in a warm place for 10 minutes.

While they are sitting...boil a pot of water (about 2 qts) with 2 tbsp of sugar in it.  After the 10 minutes, place about 3 bagels into the pot and let them boil for 3 minutes (flip them over after 1 1/2 minutes).  I set my microwave timer each time...it's amazing how long 3 minutes is when you are waiting to flip a bagel!  Take the bagels out with a slotted spoon and place back onto the greased pan.  Place the next round of bagels into the pot.  When all the bagels are boiled, beat 1 egg in a little bowl and lightly brush each bagel with egg.  Then sprinkle with desired toppings (poppyseeds, dried minced onions, sesame seeds) or none at all.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes...turning the pan after about 10 minutes.  (the first time I made these, I forgot to turn the pan as you can see in the photos).  Cool on a wire rack.

I don't buy commercial bread anymore...the only bread I would would buy would be Great Harvest Bread Company...but we don't have one close to us.  After reading the ingredients on the label...I was cured.  My favorite Costco Bread (the whole wheat Bed and Breakfast Bread) had an ingredient called "Mold Inhibitor".  I decided that my family and I probably shouldn't be consuming something called "mold inhibitor".  Not to mention the 10 other ingredients that we couldn't pronounce.  Now I make homemade bread of some sort about 3 times a week.

XOXO Tiffany

"Years of hauling water, wringing out clothes, scrubbing floors, emptying out chamberpots, with no chance of beauty or color or light in my life, stretched before me like a landscape of flat land where, a long way off, the sea is visible but can never be reached".  Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

No comments:

Post a Comment