Monday, June 11, 2012

Auntie Nancy's Homemade Flax Tortillas

 We just completed a wild and crazy weekend filled with family and friends.  There was book club, a swim meet, two birthday parties, a graduation party, church and small group.  It was all done by 7pm last night, and I was one happy lady.  I got my kitchen cleaned up and headed upstairs to get my jammies on and read.  A storm hit us at 7:25pm which was great because it brought the kids inside and we got them to bed too.  Lucy has swim team this morning at 6:15am and MJ is after her at 7:45am.  Then piano lessons from 9:30-11, and soccer camp for Daisy from 1:30-3:30.  Then, a night at home!  I hope another storm comes...I'm hoping for a movie night with the kids.  I got up at 5am this morning to make some banana bread for breakfast.

My Auntie Nancy makes these homemade tortillas, and they are about the best tortillas I have ever had.  My kids LOVE them.  I made her recipe a couple of weeks ago, but they didn't turn out as good as hers...so, while she was over last week, I asked her if she would make them with me.  We made a triple batch.  They were awesome, and I figured out what I did wrong.  Two things really.  I didn't knead them for long enough, and I cooked them too long.

The top photo is of the batch that we made together.  The photos below are of when I made them on my own.  Basically, here is the process...

Mix ingredients together, knead well.  Roll out into a log.
 Divide into about 12 pieces.
 Roll each piece into a ball and let rest, covered, on a plate for 30 minutes.
 Roll into a flat, round tortilla.  Place on med/hot griddle.  Flip after about 30 seconds.
Here is the official recipe:

Auntie Nancy's Flax Tortillas:
1 1/2 cups flour (or bread flour)
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted in micro for about 20 seconds)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup warm water

In a bowl, mix the flour, flax, oil, baking powder, and salt.  We mixed it by hand.  It will be crumbly at this point. 

Add the water, and mix until you have a firm, but workable dough.  Add a little more flour if it is too sticky.

Knead the dough on a flat surface until it is smooth. 

Divided the dough into 10-12 equal pieces and form into little golf balls.  Let them rest on a lightly covered plate for about 30 minutes.

Take one dough ball and roll it into a flat, round, circle.  Gently lift it from your counter, and place onto an ungreased, medium/hot pan.  Flip after about 30-60 seconds.  Cook the other side for about 30-60 seconds.  Once you see the first sight of a golden brown spot, that side is done.  These are better under-cooked than over-cooked.  When they are cooking on the second side, press the tortilla down with your spatula, they may bubble up a little.  Stack them on a plate and cover them with a kitchen towel.  Store them in the fridge in a gallon sized ziplock baggie.

These make fabulous little cheese tortillas, or a ham and cheese and lettuce wrap, or enchiladas!

Enjoy!  I'm off to bring MJ to swim team.

XOXO Tiffany

"God is kind, but he's not soft.  In kindness he takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change."  Romans 2:4 in the Message Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment