Friday, June 8, 2012

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

 This is my favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipe.  I made it on Wednesday for lunch...we had my Auntie Nancy and my two cousins over for the day.  They joined us on our nature walk...where we got eaten alive by mosquito's.  Then we came back home to work on our nature journals while I popped the mac and cheese into the oven.  I pre-made it in the morning and just put it in the fridge until we were ready for it.  After lunch, the kids put a sprinkler under the trampoline and jumped like crazy while Auntie Nancy and I made a triple batch of her homemade flax tortillas.  Yum.  I'll share that recipe soon!

I bought a new kind of pasta (to me) that I really liked.  I was just looking for a whole wheat pasta with only one ingredient.  I didn't want it to be "enriched this" and "enriched that".  So, I found this Bella Terra, all natural, no additives, organic pasta.  The only ingredient is:  100% certified organic hard amber durum whole wheat.  I got the cavatappi shape.  It was yummy.
I buy big blocks of healthy cheese and shove it all through my food processor with the shredding blade on, and then I just store it in a glass baking dish so that it is ready when I need it.   
 It's ready to go into the oven.
 It just came out of the oven.
The Lady’s Cheesy Mac by Paula Deen
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
½ cup sour cream
4 tbsp butter, melted
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk

Place macaroni (while hot) and cheese in a large bowl.  In separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add to the macaroni and cheese.  Pour macaroni mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Now...my cousin David, who is 11 (we're just a few years apart), has been known to be a somewhat picky eater.  The kid probably pounded about 1/2 the pan of macaroni and cheese.  There were no leftovers.  After lunch, he asked me, "Where is a place in your house that you look at a lot?".  I was confused.  He wanted me to write a note to myself that I would remember to make this macaroni and cheese for him every time he comes over.  Ha!  I'd be happy to!

Well, I've got a busy day.  I'm hosting book club tonight...and then on Sunday I am hosting Lucy's family birthday party.  This morning, I finished a few cleaning items that didn't get done yesterday (sweep main level, vacuum main level, vacuum stairs, vacuum upstairs), and I've already done 3 loads of laundry...3 to go.  I've got my chicken baking in the oven for my dinner tonight.  Here's my menu:

Spicy Chicken Avocado Enchiladas
Cilantro Lime Quinoa
Black Bean Dip with Chips
Orange Creamsicle Cookies

These are all new recipes that I found on Pinterest!  I can't wait to try them!

On Sunday, I'll be making a triple batch of my

Lasagna Soup
Homemade French Bread
Cranberry Almond Salad
Dessert???

I keep forgetting to ask Lulu what she would like for dessert.  I'll keep you posted on that one. 

Have a great weekend!

XOXO Tiffany

"Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself.  Judgemental criticism of others is a well-known way of escaping detection in your own crimes and misdemeanors....You didn't think, did you, that just by pointing your finger at others you would distract God from seeing all your misdoings and from coming down on you hard?  God is kind, but he's not soft.  In kindness he takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change".  Romans 2:1-5 in the Message Bible (loving Romans right now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment