Friday, June 22, 2012

Tiffy's Top Ten...June 2012

I thought I would share a few photos of our camping trip last weekend.  While I don't consider myself a "camper", this was one of those outstanding camping trips.  Maybe it was the running water inside the cabin...ha...no, I think it was the amazing views and the even more amazing people.  And, I just love being on a lake!  I'm more a "lake cabin" girl than a "tenter".  But, I'm pretty proud of myself...this is our 4th (!) summer tenting it with the kids!




This summer is already going so fast...I can't believe June is almost a memory.  I was thinking last week what I want my summer days to look like...I came up with 10 things that I would do on my perfect summer day.  My last Top Ten was a list of things I want to do this summer...this one is just a list of everyday things that make me happy.  Notice...I don't even have to leave the house!

Tiffy's Top Ten Things to do on a Summer Day:
1.  Start my day with Chai tea and Bible time
2.  Exercise
3.  Do some school with the kids
4.  Sew for 2 hours
5.  Drink lots of water
6.  Read a great book on the deck while sipping an iced tea or an iced coffee
7.  Scrapbook a few pages
8.  Accomplish a household cleaning/organizing project
9.  Cook real food
10.  Declutter as I go

Hmmm...nowhere on here am I driving kids to and from sports (all day long) or doing the dishes.  Those tend to be my two most time consuming tasks these days.  Not that I don't enjoy all the other things that fill my day...but if I could have a full 24 hours of peace and quiet, these are the things that would be top on my list.

I just noticed that this is my 100th post!  That's kind of fun.  This will be my last post in June...next week the kids and I are going "Technology Free" for a whole week.  No TV, computor, Wii, or Ipod Touches.  We can use the phone, my cell phone (no bells and whistles there), and our CD player (since we can't access Itunes).  My Sweetie will be out of town all week, and I am always looking for an opportunity to simplify.  The kids will be at VBS next week from 9-12...so I'm hoping to be super productive and get stuff done...and not be distracted by checking emails, reading blogs, Facebook, Pinterest...I mean hours gone that I will never get back...ha!  Never mind how enjoyable that is sometimes.  I haven't "surprised" my kids with this information yet.  They love their technology...but I think it's good to take some breaks.  I'll be shutting down my computor before bed on Sunday evening, putting a little reminder sign on the TV (we only have one), and gathering all hand-held devices in a little basket.  I'll let you know how it goes! 

XOXO Tiffany

"Our society - with its pressures of "too much" - is waging an undeclared war on childhood".

"By reducing mental and physical clutter, simplification increases a families ability to flow together, to focus and deepen their attention, to realign their lives with their dreams".

"Simplification is about stripping away the distractions and clutter that monopolize our attention and threaten our connection".

"It's true, you may be the one doing the caring now, and insisting on limitations that they may resist, but you are also beginning a pattern that they can continue for themselves and will serve them throughout their lives".

"To have emotionally healthy children in today's America means making strong choices in the face of the consumerist economy".

"By carving time out of our busy schedules we place an emphasis on connection.  When we simplify our childs daily life and their environment, we support them, making room for contemplation, restoration".

All quotes are from Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne

2 comments:

  1. I love that first quote, Tiff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, me too! You'd like that book Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete