Monday, June 4, 2012

Yaya's Chocolate Frosting

 Last week, we kind of ate like pigs.  Threw the healthy eating plan right out the window.  Memorial Weekend, the garage sale, Matt out of town, Lulu's birthday...I've got lots of excuses.  By Saturday morning I was just craving healthy food.  I made a tropical smoothie (adapted from a recipe on Pinterest) and the kids and I gobbled it right down.  I'm going to try to make a smoothie for us every day this week.  Such a great way to get in the fruits and veggies.  We are getting back on track this week!
 Twice in the last month, I've seen bacon wrapped dates.  My Auntie Nancy made them for our Memorial Weekend party (yum!), and I saw them on the 100 Days of Real Food blog.  Daisy and I gave them a try.  We just sliced the date (Medjool Dates) on one side, pulled out the pit, replace the pit with two whole raw almonds, wrapped it in a half slice of bacon, put a water-soaked toothpick through it, placed them on a foil lined pan, and broiled on hi for about 6 minutes (turning the pan once).
Here are our little bundles.
 A yummy snack!  Here is the recipe that we used:  Bacon Wrapped Dates.
 Lulu really wanted a red cake with chocolate frosting for her birthday.  Every February, I make this red cake with buttercream frosting.  It's one of my favorite cakes.  However, what I now know about food colorings, I was hoping to make this cake without the dye.  Lucy wouldn't have it.  So, here are my lovely (artificially dyed) red cakes coming out of the oven.
 I used my mom's chocolate frosting recipe (I should have doubled it)...and that cake was out of control good.  I would like to play with the cake recipe a bit...right now it is a doctored up yellow cake mix.  You add buttermilk, cocoa, baking soda, vinegar, 1 oz of red food coloring...and some other stuff.  But, for now, I am going to share my mom's chocolate frosting recipe.  She also has a fudge frosting recipe that we use all the time, but that one is better for pouring onto a pan of bars or a 9 x 13 cake.  This one is spreadable.
Yaya's Chocolate Frosting
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
5 tbsp butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Put the first 3 ingredients into a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Place your chocolate chips in a mixing bowl and then pour your warm sugar mixture over them.  Beat with a hand mixer until creamy and cooled.

XOXO Tiffany

"Memories do not exist along a timeline.  In my mind everything happens at once".  The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons

No comments:

Post a Comment