Monday, July 16, 2012

What We Ate Last Week...July 8-14 2012...+ Italian Dunkers recipe!!!

 I took lots of "food" pictures this week...So, here is a peek at what we ate and I'll list it all out down below.  Above, Spinach Salad with Spaghetti.

Breakfast Pita...(eggs, bacon, and salsa in a Trader Joes whole wheat pita.
 Zucchini from my garden!  We ate all 3 in one day...I shredded one up right away and added it to my spaghetti sauce (above), and I sauteed the other two up with olive oil and curry seed (below).
 Zucchini in olive oil and curry seed.
 Sauteed Zucchini...I totally over-crowded the pan...I will do two batches next time for more evenly browned zucchini.
 Another raspberry pie...this time I made a whole wheat/butter pie crust and my family was none the wiser!  Throw some creamy homemade vanilla ice cream on anything and they are happy.
 Sauteed bacon, onion, and spinach for my....
 ...Green Eggs and Ham:).  After sauteing the 3 above ingredients (spinach will get tiny and wilted), add some beaten eggs (I used farm fresh, free range eggs 2 miles from my house!).  The girls polished these eggs off and were asking for more...MJ was a little more cautious...stinker.
 Peanut butter cookies with mini kisses.
 Chicken Cucumber Salad with Grapes.
 So...that was a snap-shot...here it is all listed out!

Sunday:
B-Breakfast Pitas
L-Gogo Squeez, Smoothie, Energy Balls (a quick lunch before we head to Fergus Falls)
D-Jimmy Johns (on the way home from Fergus Falls)

Monday:
B-Breakfast Pitas
L-Spaghetti (with zucchini), spinach salad topped with sunflower seeds and craisins
D-Chicken (sauteed in olive oil with Montreal steak seasoning), Curried Zucchini

Tuesday:
B-Cereal
L-Annies Mac and Cheese, veggies/dip
D-Italian Dunkers w/ salad, Raspberry Pie with vanilla ice cream

Wednesday:
B-Green eggs and ham with toast (leftover french bread) and banana
L-Mango, Pineapple, Banana (green) Smoothie
D-Chicken Cucumber Salad, grapes, cookies (brought dinner to a friend)

Thursday:
B-Cereal
L-Leftovers...Chicken Salad, Grapes, Pie and ice cream
D-Jimmy John's $1 sub day!

Friday:
B-Creamy Wheat
L-Chips and Cheese with Bean Salsa
D-Homemade Whole Wheat bread with jam and peanut butter, cookies 

Saturday:
B-Pancakes
L-Mango, Banana, Pineapple (green) Smoothie
D-Italian Dunkers (with leftover whole wheat bread), Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is how I make my Italian Dunkers!  Did anybody enjoy these for hot lunch back in your school days???  Once a month or so, they would serve these babies up on a Thursday, and I'm telling you, the hot lunch line was out the door and down the hall!  So good!  Here is my homemade version...

Mix together 6 tbsp soft butter with 3 garlic cloves chopped.
 Slice a loaf of french bread the long way and then twice crosswise.  You'll have 6 little sections.  I made homemade french bread with my bread maker...feel free to just buy some.  Then, spread the garlic butter on each section.
 Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella.  You could also sprinkle some Italian seasoning on top at this point!  This is how I store my cheese...I buy blocks of cheese and then shred it all up in my food processor and store it in glass bread pans topped with plastic wrap. 
 Place cheesy garlic bread on a pan and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes.  I usually turn the pan at this point and let it go for another minute or so.  Be sure to set your timer!  It can go from melty to burnt very quickly.
 Serve with spaghetti sauce.  I used my leftover zucchini spaghetti sauce from Monday.
Enjoy!!!

XOXO Tiffany

"A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God....if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that's enough". 1 Timothy 6:6-8 in the Message Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment