Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Miller Road Trip 2012...Nebraska

 Last night, we returned home from an 11-day road trip.  This morning, I've got the laundry started, some whole wheat bread in the bread maker, and my grocery list is made.  The kids are playing outside...it's 19 degrees.  I searched my freezer and found some of my homemade macaroni and cheese sauce, a smoothie, and some veggie spaghetti.  I pulled those out to get us started.

I'm planning on sharing about our trip in 5 separate posts, since we visited 5 different states.  A few things that I love about road tripping...1.  you have your car with you.  2.  you have a cooler with you.  3.  you get to see SO much more!

I packed up a cooler with:
28 apples, grapes, carrot baggies, 10 lbs of clementines, gogo squeez, energy balls, almond granola bars, water bottles, and blueberry muffins.

I also packed up a snack bag with:
pretzel thins, dried bananas, bananas, dried pineapple, fruit leathers (Trader Joes), raisins.

The kids and I left Minnesota at 7am on Friday November 16th.  After 2 hours, we stopped at my favorite rest area which is right across the Iowa border in Northwood on I-35.  It's a red barn and they sell coffee and have a gift shop and a guest book.  They are super friendly and sweet.  Then, 2 hours later, we were in Ames, IA.  I spent 4 years in Ames at Iowa State University...I love love love Ames!!!  We made it there around 11:10am...just in time to eat at my favorite pizza shop...Great Plains Sauce and Dough Co.  If you get a chance...you must go there. 
 Mmmm.
 It's been too long since I've gobbled up some Great Plains!
 The kids loved it.
 The grand finale...dip your whole wheat pizza crust in some honey.
 Good ol' Ames.
 It's on the adorable Main Street in Historical Downtown Ames.
 After we got all pizza-ed up, we headed to Omaha!  First stop...the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge.
 A beautiful sunny, cool, windy day.  BTW...I love walking across bridges.
 On the border!
 Happy to be out of the car:).

After some fun on the bridge...we went and checked in to our hotel at the Marriot Courtyard in Old Market Omaha.  I highly recommend this hotel and this location!  We were right across the street from the Gene Leahy Mall (not shopping) and could have walked to the bridge if it were a little warmer.
 Grabbed a chai at Starbucks and walked the Mall with the kids.
 Statues...
 Gorgeous swans...Lucy shared some of her blueberry muffin with them.
 The awesome giant slides!  I heard you should bring wax paper...yep, so much better with wax paper!  I brought a roll and the kids spend all afternoon climbing and sliding.  We even found time to head back the next morning. 
 Some bed jumping.
 Bed diving.
 Bed cannon-balling.
 The kids swam for a bit and then it was back upstairs for showers because Sweetie was flying into Omaha and we were heading out for steaks!
 We went to the Zin Room.  Of course, I loved the Audrey Hepburn pic as we walked in.  I'm sure this place is usually awesome...we didn't have the grandest of experiences.  It's possible that it was our servers first day on the job.  Things got botched and came out in the strangest order.  But, we had a good time:).
 Saturday the 17th...a quick trip to the Gene Leahy Mall (Park) while Sweetie works out, and then it's off to Lincoln!!!
 We hung out in Historic Haymarket.  A-Mazing!  We lunched at Bread & Cup and had some awesome chili and bread and cheese.  They also have the most amazing caramel rolls.  I had wanted to eat at Maggie's Vegetarian...such a cute little restaurant!  But, the family refused.
 We sure love bread.
 Historic Haymarket.  I highly recommend hanging out here!
 After lunch, we headed to Ivana Cone for some ice cream.  Sweetie and MJ split a waffle cone with two scoops of Sweet Cream Vanilla, Daisy had Chocolate Mint, Lucy had Orange Dream Sherbet, and I got Dutch Chocolate.  Nobody was dissapointed!  Yum.
 Some cute button art on the wall.

After all that eating...we decided to head towards Memorial Stadium and check things out.  We went there without tickets.  Something that stressed me out a bit.  But, they were selling for $150 each on line, and I just couldn't stomach that since there are 5 of us.  The kids and I hung out on the curb while Sweetie walked around checking out all the scalpers.  It was getting to the point where we were getting a little nervous...mostly because it was going to be near impossible to get 5 tickets together!  We were hoping for 3 and 2, but even that was getting tricky.  Then, we saw a dad and son selling 5 tickets.  We walked up to them and they wanted $300 ($60/each), Sweetie offered $250...the guy said $300...I said, "how about $255???"  He smiled and said, "sure".  Wheee!  $51 each.  We did a little happy dance...we were so excited and relieved to have our tickets!!!  (4 were together, 1 was in a different row, but, we had no problem all fitting together on the bench).
 Beautiful tickets...
 Watching the parade...
 At the game...
 Family pic...
 Band...
 Players...

I must say, it was hard to not be a Cornhuskers fan.  We met the nicest people in Lincoln!  I could seriously live here...or at least have my kids go to college there.  What a town!
We left the game at halftime...the shade came over our seats, we were hungry, U of M forgot to show up to the game (well, they were there...you just couldn't tell), and we had to drive to Kansas City.  On our way out of the stadium, we grabbed a couple of Nebraska Runza's.  Yum.  A bread pocket with meat, cheese, and cabbage inside.  That thing was good.

Next stop...Kansas.  "There's no place like home..."
 
XOXO Tiffany

"Francie loved the smell of coffee and the way it was hot.  As she ate her bread and meat, she kept one hand curved about the cup enjoying it's warmth."  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment