Monday, December 17, 2012

Food at the Miller's

 Good Morning!  I'm just getting my Monday rolling with a little Blog Time.  The kids and I will do a bit of school today (reading, piano, math, read a loud, Advent) and then I've got some errands to run.  I'm really looking forward to this week.  It's kind of nice to have a full week before Christmas.  I think I'm gonna be ready!  Well, for this post, I thought I'd share a few of the things we've eaten over the past couple of weeks.  The good, the bad, the ugly...
 We make Christmas cookies every week in December...sometimes two a week!  I let each of the kids help me with a different one.  This is MJ's favorite Christmas Cookie (if you can call it a cookie).  And there isn't much more I love than to hang out in the kitchen with my little dude.  I posted this recipe last year here...
 But, of course, it's just 3 ingredients.  Scatter some pretzels on a cookie sheet, top with a Rolo, place in a 250 degree oven for 4 minutes.  When you pull them out, press an M&M into the top.  Done!
 I had a tough time getting back into my cooking groove after our road trip.  So, one day we had a big ol' pot of Annie's Mac and Cheese, veggies and dip, and a smoothie.  That wasn't so bad.
 But then on a Sunday night...I was just not in the mood to cook, so Sweetie picked us up some Thai food.  It's just so good.
 My fortune...which of course I thought was just perfect.  Sweetie couldn't help clearing his throat after I read the "gentle nature" part of my fortune.
 OK...now this, I am so excited about!!!  I posted my egg roll recipe here...but I've changed it!!!  Oh my goodness...I've gone and made it vegetarian and so much healthier!  Just two little changes...
1.  instead of browning up ground turkey...boil up a cup of Bulgar (100% whole grain wheat...I buy Bob's Red Mill or a big bag at Costco) in 2 cups of water and make the rest of the recipe just the same.  Bulgar is one of those amazing foods that I discovered this last year when making my friends Vegetarian Bulgar Chili.  Bulgar cooks up and looks like ground beef!  So much healthier (and cheaper) and you never miss the meat!
 2.  Then...instead of frying them up in peanut oil...I fried them up in 1 cup of coconut oil and 1 cup of olive oil!  So much healthier and it didn't stink up the house like peanut and canola oils do.

So, this batch makes 30 egg rolls.  We make 15 the first day and 15 the next day, since they are best fresh from the frying pan.  But, on the second day, I thought...I wonder if I can do 1 cup coconut oil and 1 cup of grape seed oil???  Sure enough, you can!
 These were crispy and yummy...Sweetie didn't miss the ground turkey at all.  In fact, he didn't even know I had changed a thing!  I told him on the second day and he was all, "you're kidding?".  He loved them.  Served these up with my homemade sweet and sour sauce and a smoothie (yogurt, milk, bananas, frozen berries).

We have moved to a more Flexitarian diet.  Which is a mostly real food/plant based/non processed diet...you can eat meat in moderation (quality meat served in a small quantity).  I haven't bought meat in months...mostly because I don't want to pay the Organic Grass Fed Free Range prices.  I buy quality milk, eggs, and yogurt.  And, mostly organic fruit and veggies.  The money we have saved on meat has balanced everything out.  And, the Flexitarian diet has worked well for us because is isn't so restrictive.  We can go out to eat or eat and a friends house and enjoy some meat.  We just really don't have it at home.

We are definitely not the poster child family for the Flexitarian Diet...but it is the one that I feel most connected to after all my food research (books/dvd's) over the last year.  I'm still a fan of all things in moderation (like our Christmas Cookies).  And this...
I love homemade hot cocoa...and I have a recipe that I just love!  But, when the kids come in from a freezing cold Minnesota winter day...they want their cocoa and they want it fast.  Costco had this big can for like $14.  It is crazy yummy.  I just wish the lid came off easier.  That thing is a bear!  Sometimes I make myself some cocoa in the early morning, and that lid goes flying off clinking and clanging all over the kitchen floor.  Sheesh.

I'm off to make some Blueberry Muffins.  Have a fabulous Monday!

XOXO Tiffany

"The gentle wife of his dreams waited up for him and had hot coffee and something nice to eat ready".  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment