Monday, December 10, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!! + Cookies

 We finally have a white December!  It's been awhile.  We sure are loving all the snow over here at the Miller House.
 I finally finished my Cookbook!  I have been working on this project off and on for a year or so now.  I wanted all the recipes that I use and love to be printed neatly in one spot.  Mission accomplished!  I typed up all my recipes in Excel...with different tabs at the bottom to organize them by category.  Once I had that done, I printed all the pages and put them in sleeve protectors (from Costco).
 Then, I put them in a 3-Ring binder.
 Done!  All my "go to" recipes in one spot!  It makes me want to make something!  For the past few months, I have been having to run back and forth to my computer every time I want to make a recipe.  So nice to have the recipes back in my kitchen!
 Lucy and I made Cornflake Wreaths the other day.  I have been skipping the food coloring in things lately.  Did you ever know how horrible they are for you?  Read this post in 100 Days of Real Food...filled with chemicals from petroleum.  An eye opener.
 I suppose eventually I won't be using the little red hots either.  Sheesh.

Here is my recipe:
Cornflake Wreaths:
1/2 cup butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
1 tsp green food coloring (if you dare)
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups cornflakes cereal
Cinnamon red hot candies

Microwave marshmallows and butter for 2 minutes.
Stir and microwave for an additional 2 minutes.  Stir.
Add the coloring and extracts and mix quickly.  Stir in the cornflakes.
Drop by spoonfuls onto greased wax paper and decorate with 3 red hots.
 Last Sunday the girls and I made a double batch of Butter Spritz cookies.  They were hosting their Book Club.  They read Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield (You've Got Mail anyone?).  Great book...my girls LOVED it.  As you can see...I didn't dye the dough or add colored sprinkles.  These are so good as is...my girls didn't complain.  They just loved working the spritzer!  Here is my recipe:

Butter Spritz Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Sift together the flour and salt.  Cream the butter and sugar in mixer.
Add the egg yolks and extracts.  Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
Fill a cookie press and squeeze the cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.
 Lucy had a swim meet this weekend.  She is trying to get her Champ Time in her 100 Backstroke.  Here is her Breakfast of Champions.  Peanut butter toast with bananas and hot chocolate.
 She shaved 4 seconds off of her time and only missed her Champ Time by .15 seconds!!!  That girl is going to get it next time...she wants it bad.
 Oh, that beautiful snow!  On Sunday morning, MJ had to go out and shovel a path for our little Coco.  I'm guessing we got around 14".
I took this picture this morning...it was still snowing.

My list is long...but some friends want to meet out at the Elm Creek Sledding Hill at 12:30pm today...can't pass it up.  Have a great day!

XOXO Tiffany

"The surprise was "hot chocolate" which was cocoa and condensed milk made into a paste and boiling water stirred into it".  A Tree Grown in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment