Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Maxine

 On Monday evening, my beloved Grandma, Maxine,
(AKA: Grandma Max), went to Heaven. 
She was 88 years old, and one of the most
wonderful women you could ever hope to meet.
I had the honor of being her grand-daughter.

She patiently taught me to knit and cross stitch.
Her love of sewing no doubt rubbed off on me.
 She was at my wedding and she has snuggled each and every one of my babies.
She always had her fingernails clipped short and painted with lilac nail polish.
She called me "Tiff".
I can still hear her voice..."Well, hi Tiff!".
 Christmas at her house is something I will never forget.
The food, the sweets, the tree, the gifts...but most of all...the people.
A big family...my grandma had 7 kids.  My dad was the oldest.
Whenever my grandma bought me clothes,
they were always at least a size too small.  (bless her heart!)
 My grandma taught me about marriage.
She had been a widow for 26 years,
but she loved my grandpa, and I knew that.
I learned that even when your husband is being a complete pill,
you work on it.

She loved her hutch and all the special treasures that it held. 
She could tell you who gave her each and every item in there.
 Sleepovers at her house were awesome!
My brother and I stayed up late and ate lots of junk.
The next day we would go to church
(feeling sick from lack of sleep and healthy food)
and she always had Double Mint gum
and butterscotch candies in her purse.
My brother and I always giggled uncontrollably during church
because one of the "special needs" attenders always did something
inappropriate during the service...like burp.
 One time I peed my pants on her carpet from laughing so hard.
When she told me to go and take a bath, I went in the bathroom
and ran the water in the tub, but never bathed.  (gross, right?)

She made the best dinner rolls, oatmeal, and divinity.
 She was a hard worker.
She was always busy, but never too busy.
She loved sweets and flowers and the Lord.
I am blessed to call her my grandma.
She loved unconditionally.
She raised my dad, who is one of the most outstanding
people that I know.
I miss her.
She was witty and quirky and cute.
She is in Heaven.
And for that, I couldn't be happier.
She is young and healthy and strong again.

Grandma Max...I love you!!!

Love!  Tiff

"We get one shot at living to expand the kingdom, fighting for justice.  We'll stand before Jesus once, and none of our luxuries will accompany us.  We'll have one moment to say, "This is how I lived" ".
Seven: an experimental mutiny against excess by Jen Hatmaker

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for you loss, Tiffany! You're Grandma sounds like a wonderful person and I can see the resemblance of her in you! My wish is some day to have the affect on my family as people like your Grandmother had on her loved ones. Thinking of you and what a nice tribute you have written in her honor! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Kim! It has been fun to get together with family and share stories. Lots of tears...but lots and lots of laughter! Hope you're doing well! Love Tiffany

      Delete