Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday Food Day + 2 new recipes!!!

 It's always fun to plan a meal around a holiday.
Especially one like Valentine's Day.
On Valentines Eve...I made a homemade blueberry sauce.

Homemade Blueberry Sauce:
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine first 4 ingredients.
Stir frequently and bring to a low boil.
Slowly stir the cornstarch/water into the blueberries.  Simmer until sauce is thick.
Remove from heat and gently stir in vanilla.
Serve over ice cream, pound cake, waffles...
 We enjoyed it with our homemade ice cream and sliced bananas
during Movie Night.  We watched Mirror Mirror with Julia Roberts.
Ummm...I LOVED this movie!
The costumes were outstanding and I loved the story line.
Could have done without the black magic...
 The next morning...Valentine's Day...we enjoyed the blueberry sauce over
 For lunch...I made Italian Dunkers with a homemade
vegetable marinara sauce.
 Valentine's Day ended up being a bit busy.
We had our homeschool coop from 1-4pm...
then the girls had theatre class from 4:30-6pm...
and Lucy had Swim Team from 6:15-7:30pm.
We opted for an 8pm candlelit dinner of Thai Take Out.
It was perfect!
 This was originally going to be our Valentine's Dinner...
Grilled cheese sammies cut into hearts with
Homemade Tomato Soup.
We had it for our Post Valentine's Day lunch instead.
 On Saturday morning...
I made a smoothie (yogurt, bananas, frozen pineapple, frozen mixed berry, 1 cup water)
and these Chocolate Oatmeal muffins.
Sweetie and I enjoyed the muffins, but the kids weren't crazy about them.
(Lucy was at a sleepover...hence the 4 smoothies)
 Saturday afternoon found me cleaning the house and cooking away
for our company on Sunday.
I got a little crazy with my carrot chopping and sent the measuring cup holding
my frozen veggies flying.  Ugg.
After sweeping /cleaning it all up...
 I got my veggies in the pot...
 ...and headed out to Marketplace for some more frozen corn
for my Corn Chowder.
 I also made this black bean dip.  The recipe:

Black Bean Dip:
2 avocados, diced
2 tbsp lime or lemon juice

2 cups frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp cilantro, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Tortilla Chips

In a small bowl, combine the avocados and lime (or lemon) juice.
In a large bowl, combine the next 6 ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Drizzle over the corn mixture and toss to coat.
Gently fold in the avocados.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Serve with tortilla chips.

I made this the night before...and with the lemon or lime juice, the avocados
don't turn brown!
 I also made a big pan of Sugar Cookie Bars.
We had our Small Group from church over for lunch on Sunday...
I had Corn Chowder, warm bread, clementines, lemon water,
black bean dip and chips, and sugar cookie bars and coffee.

We had Sweetie's family over for dinner on Sunday to celebrate
his mom and his sisters birthdays.
I did a big Taco Salad Bar
and Sweetie's mom brought Strawberry Shortcake for dessert.

It was a wonderful day!

I'm hoping to sew some new spring skirts today...
Have a good President's Day!!!

Love!  Tiffany

"You have to choose between what the world expects of you and what you want for yourself".
The Color of Water by James McBride

No comments:

Post a Comment