Monday, March 18, 2013

Food...Tomato Cucumber Salad

 We had a wonderful weekend down in Rochester MN attending Lucy's State Swim Meet.  
Lucy and I have been getting the Cucumber Tomato Salad at Noodles for awhile now.
My mom actually brought the ingredients with this weekend and we enjoyed for lunch...twice!
It is so good.  Here is how she made it:

Yaya's Tomato Cucumber Salad:
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Cheese
Olive Oil
Montreal Steak Seasoning

Slice or cube up your tomatoes and cucumbers.  Toss in some cheese...(we had provolone, but we thought crumbled ricotta or goat cheese would be great too!)  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the steak seasoning (we use this in everything).  Toss and enjoy!
 We left for Rochester on Friday after lunch...
 I was really cleaning out the 'fridge last week!
I had thawed some of Sweetie's walleye and I pan fried
that up in some olive oil and coconut oil.
Served with veggies and dip.
 Not quiet enough for our family of 5...
but we pounded some veggies until we were full.
 Lucy and I enjoyed some Auntie Anne's pretzels down in the subway of downtown Rochester.
 Breakfast...oatmeal, brown sugar, raisins, and blueberries.
 This was a college flashback moment.
Oh my goodness.
My girlfriend Carolyn and I used to make these every morning.
We scrambled our eggs (with a touch of milk) in a
styrofoam (i know...yikes!) bowl in the microwave.
Placed them on top of a toasted and buttered (white) bagel
with lots of salt and pepper.
It's still so good.
 Lucy swam in 4 events.
 Yaya and I got in a little shopping.
Cutest little gift shop...Tangerine.
We also stopped into a drug store (Eagle Drug) and the 
sweetest little lady (she was an owner), literally, popped out of an office door to say hello.
She told us story after story until the stories started repeating themselves and we started to see where this was going.  After hearing 9 stories about her life (3 stories told 3 times each), we left that drug store with a 
"bing bang boom!".  (That was one of her signature phrases and Yaya and I got some mileage out of it over the course of the weekend.  I think Lucy was ready to slap us...but we thought we were so funny.)
If you're in the downtown Rochester area...you must stop in to see her.
She was an absolute treasure!
 Our little dinner (picnic) spread out in the Concierge Lounge.
Tomato cucumber salad, celery and peanut butter, cheese sticks, crackers, cheese, salami, leftover pizza, applesauce, clementines...
 Have you ever come back to your hotel room to a sign like this one???
After watching Lucy swim, we went back to the hotel and saw this on our door.  We immediately grabbed a maintenance guy that happened to be in the hallway and asked him what this was about.
Our neighbor in the hotel came out of her room and was very concerned.
The maintenance guy didn't know much about it but asked if we knew anyone in the hotel that might have done this.  We didn't stay at the same hotel as the swim team, so we didn't think anyone would have done this.  I mentioned that my parents were staying in our hotel, and that sometimes my mom has been known to play pranks, but I didn't think she would do this.
After a call from management etc...
...short story long...my mom (Yaya) totally made this sign.
Yep...she's a stinker.
She also corrupted my kids by plastering signs in the elevators that said:
"Please do not press buttons as they may stick...Management".
Oh my goodness.
 Another breakfast...
and then enjoyed some fresh fruit from the concierge lounge.
So good to be home!
This morning, I woke up at 5:22am feeling refreshed.
I decided to get up and have a coffee date with God.
I also got some laundry done, emails checked, lists made.
I have been feeling behind and overwhelmed lately.
Time to get busy and get caught up.

Enjoy the fresh snow and the fresh snow to come!
(if you're in Minnesota)

Love!  Tiffany

"She used to sit in a little rocking chair in her room upstairs and watch the birds".
The Color of Water by James McBride

2 comments:

  1. O.K. I got a little short of breath when I saw the note posted on your hotel door. I would have told the kids to hold their breath and make a run for it!!

    And thanks for the great food ideas. My goal is to give that more priority in my house, but I HATE COOKING!! So thanks for doing most of the work for me, and coming up with healthy options that are easy and family friendly.

    Love, SIL (Melissa Schoenberger)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I know...I did freak a bit...thinking, "oh my goodness, we slept in there all night!".

      I actually LOVE cooking, but it's been so stinkin' hard to find the time!

      Chat soon! Tiffany

      Delete