Monday, August 5, 2013

A Journey...

I am on a journey.
A journey to not become the typical North American suburban family.
You know the one.
They've got the large 2-story house (mortgage + a second), 2 car loans, cabin (mortgage), 2 boats (loans), kids in every sport, so busy that there's no time for relationship, money spread so thin that the stress is intense, kids are entitled and expecting large quantities of gifts for:
Christmas, birthdays, New Years, Valentines Day, St Patricks Day, The First Saturday of the Month (haha), kids that only want to hold and stare at their latest Apple product.
I could go on and on...we've been there done that.

In 2007, we read all the Dave Ramsey books, and then
attended Financial Peace University.
Life changing.
It put us on a path to get rid of debt.
When you get rid of debt, you get to give your money away.
We're getting there.

In the last couple of years, other things have started to transpire.
I've been on a mission to get rid of our "stuff".
Easier said than done.
This "stuff" seems to multiply.
It just keeps coming back and we keep trying to get rid of it.

This summer, I felt a huge need to have the kids and I "serve".
Which literally means:
To perform duties or services (for another person or an organization).
My goal is that we would all do it with a happy heart.
That we would show up and do what needs to be done.
That we would leave our place of service nicer than when we arrived.
We are all so used to serving ourselves!
I can't even believe it when I step back and look at our lives.
This is a whole new concept...
one that I don't want my kids leaving our house without knowing.

We've been serving at CROSS Food Shelf in Rogers MN
once a week all summer.
It's been a journey.  And I love it.
 This is a picture of the kids packing up snack bags for kids in need.

The other part of this journey that I wanted to address was my little sewing business.
I love to sew.
I love to sell what I sew.
I wasn't loving taking money from friends and others.
To be honest...I didn't need the money.
I started to lose motivation.
I now have my motivation back!
I am changing my little business so that ALL profits are given away.
I will be sewing for charity.
I will post pictures on my
Tiffany Layne Fashion Facebook page.
I will also be listing these items on Etsy.
www.tiffanylaynefashion.etsy.com
If you've purchased from me in the last year...that money will be given away too.

So far...top on my list of organizations to give to are:
CROSS Food Shelf (daily helping local families in need!)
Compassion (would like to sponsor 2 more kids)

I have a couple of others that I am looking into, and will mention those at a later date.

Now...I just need to get my book keeping in order.
I'm going to set some goals for the next 4 months.
I'd like to be ready to roll with this come Jan 1, 2014.
Thanks for reading.
Please offer comments and/or suggestions!
I am looking forward to this journey.

Take care all...chat soon!

Love!  Tiffany

"If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon the heart.  The spirit should not grow old".
Destiny of the Republic by Candace Millard

4 comments:

  1. My dearest Tiffins: You are so being led by the Spirit of God and you will be blessed beyond what you could expect or even imagine. I'm so thankful that you are seeking first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and everything else will be added to you.
    Love you my darling daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your open-mind to change. Change involving parting with tangible "things" is not easy to do for most of us. I like how you are taking your journey step by step. And with a heart toward charity.

    I was watching one of my favorite films "Enchanted April" (for grown-ups) and one character's phrase tickled my ears: "It feels good to get rid of things."

    Your story has encouraged me to keep plodding toward sorting through (for giving away) all the boxes of books from our basement that do not fit on our shelves upstairs.

    Thanks for your post,
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Karen! I feel for you in having to sort through (and possibly let go of) your books...I bet your collection is outstanding!

      I am going to watch Enchanted April this week! I just saw that I can watch it on my Amazon Prime. I'll be listening for that line...

      Take care and thanks so much for all that you have done and are doing for the homeschool community!!!

      Delete