Friday, December 6, 2013

Homeschooling...a day in the life.

 I thought I'd share our typical homeschool day.
We are in our 6th year of homeschooling.
I have a 7th, 6th, and 4th grader.
Where has the time gone???
Our first 3 years looked very similar.
These last 3 years have all looked a bit different from each other!
 This year, I divided our day into 4 parts.
We (almost) always accomplish Parts 1-3.
If we are around in the afternoon, we work on Part 4.

Here it is:
Part 1:
Scripture memorization/pray
Missionary Read a Loud book
a group math lesson
Science devotional (Julie von Vetts book)
Science (the Elements book...we learn 2 new elements/day)
Little House on the Prairie read a loud
(the kids wouldn't read this series on their own so I'm reading it to them this year...one of the things that I just couldn't let them graduate from my homeschool without having heard/read.  We are on book 4 and totally in love!)
 Part 2:
Math (Life of Fred)
Khan Academy (on line)
Piano
DuoLingo (Spanish app)
Quick Math (math app for MJ)

I sit with Lucy and MJ to work on their math lessons.  Daisy is almost completely independent with her math and prefers to do it on her own.  I'm there if she needs me.  
The other 4 "subjects" (above) they do independently.
 Part 3:
30 minutes of quiet reading (together)
**my absolute favorite time of the day
 Part 4:
Chemistry DVD
(We watch one lesson two times each week...the first time through, we enjoy.  The second time through, Daisy, Lucy and I take notes and MJ just watches).
Spanish...song, craft, cooking
Art Appreciation
Music Appreciation
Quilting
(Quilting is the one thing we haven't started yet but I refuse to take it off the list)
And, that's it!
We do school 5 days/week.  Every morning from 8am-12pm.
We manage to accomplish a lot in 4 hours!
Then, we do 2 afternoons of school/week (see part 4).
Of the other 3 afternoons
-we spend one with our co-op...
we're either having a lesson, doing presentations, having art class, a field trip, or the nature center.
-one afternoon is piano lessons
-and then we volunteer at the food shelf a couple of times/month.

If you noticed that we are missing history/geography...you would be wrong.
We are getting a crazy amount of history/geography in so many areas!
In our missionary books, we've learned about awesome people as well as India and Columbia.
In Little House, we are following their journey across the states (Wisconsin to Kansas to Minnesota...as well as reading about Almanzo in New York).
We read a pilgrim book last month and learned so much about England, Holland, and Plymouth Rock.
In our art and music appreciation, we are learning about people and places.
Even our math and quiet reading time is filled with history/geography.
Whenever we read, I sit with our U.S./World map close by so that we can always look up destinations.
I use a placemat sized map...love it.
All that to say...History and Geography are covered.
This is the first year that they haven't been their own subject...but it's going great!

These weeks just fly right by!
I can't imagine spending my days doing anything else...
well, that's not completely true...a girl has dreams, you know.
But, one thing I know for sure...I will never regret a minute of my time with them!
The days are long but the years are short.
And, if I'm doing my job right...they will be ready to fly in no time...
as confident, competent, kind, caring young people who are ready to make this world a better place!
I am so thankful for the opportunity to homeschool my kids.

Have a fabulous weekend!!!

XOXO Tiffany

"Balance is what we're after in simplifying our family's schedules.  And once we cross our kids names off the "Race of Childhood" sign-up form, time opens right up."
Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment