Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September Shelfie 2014

I love to read.
It is my treat, or reward, morning, noon, and night.
I was getting overwhelmed with the stacks and stacks of books that I had started, or that I wanted to start.  I was feeling like I wasn't finishing anything.
I decided to pick 5 books to read (and attempt to finish) each month.
I also wrote down some categories that can be filled in.  I am hoping to rotate those categories each month so that I get a well rounded list of titles.
Here are some of the categories that I came up with (subject to change):

1.  Spiritual
2.  Family (marriage/kids)
3.  Book Club book
4.  Read-a-Loud (RAL)
5.  Classic
6.  History
7.  Homeschool
8.  Health (exercise/cooking) or Simple Living
9.  Easy Read/Children's Lit
10.  Memoir/Biography

For September, I wanted to keep it light.
School was starting up, and I was going on a little trip.
Here are my September picks:

1.  Spiritual:  A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman
2.  Marriage:  The Love Dare by Alex and Stephen Kendrick
3.  Parenting:  Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle
4.  Simple Living:  The Happiness Project by Gretchin Rubin
5.  RAL:  The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis

This month, I won't have a problem finishing these selections.
That won't be the case for all the months, and so I will just have the un-finished books carry over into the next month.

I also love to rate my books on a scale from 1-5.
5.  I loved this book so much.  I would read it again and I would highly recommend it!
4.  A great book!
3.  A good book.
2.  This book was just OK.
1.  I really couldn't finish, or didn't want to finish, this book.

Here are my thoughts on the books that I read this month:
A Million Little Ways by Emily P Freeman
I give this book a 4.
Her writing is very poetic.  I liked how she helped me look at "art" differently.
"Don't wait until tomorrow.  Pick yourself today.  You already have everything you need.  Embrace the art alive within you, and believe in the little ways God wants to release his art into the world through you."

The Love Dare by Alex and Stephen Kendrick
I give this book a 5.
A fabulous book of reminders on how we should be treating our spouses.  Great scripture references sprinkled in.  It made you want to be a better spouse.  Very encouraging.
"Love makes sacrifices.  It keeps you so tuned in to what your spouse needs that you often respond without being asked."

Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle
I give this book a 3.
This was a super cute, light read.  Very funny.  A nice little memoir.

The Happiness Project by Gretchin Rubin
I give this book a 4.
I REALLY enjoyed this book!  I thought Gretchin did a great job in her journey.  Her research was in depth and added a lot to her thought process.  I may have given it a 5 if her spiritual journey would have had more depth.  This is the one area that I found lacking.
"Flawed can be more perfect than perfection."

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis
I give this book a 5.
Amazing.  I couldn't wait to pick it up every day.  Awesome characters.  Lots to chat about.
"Merely a trifle!  Merely a trifle!  And it isn't really finished."  Mr. Beaver responding to the kids compliment of his home.

I'm planning on adding a "Books" tab at the top of my blog.
I'm hoping to keep it updated with a list of all the books that I read each year.

What are you reading and loving lately?

XOXO Tiffany

"And when you are fully yourself, everyone benefits."
"God is the Artist and he has made us.  We are his poem and we will make art."
A Million Little Ways by Emily P Freeman

No comments:

Post a Comment