Monday, December 29, 2014

5 Things I Learned in 2014

Of all the things that I learned in 2014,
these are the ones that flew from my mind to the paper the quickest.

5 Things I Learned in 2014:

1.  "If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time."
From "Say Goodbye to Survival Mode" by Crystal Paine.
Yep...I forgot to plan for 2014.
Hoping to not make that mistake again!

2.  Discipline has to take place in the heart, not with a list of "do's and don't's".
This one is true for moms and kids alike.
A concept that I learned from Jim and Lynne Jackson of Connected Families.

3.  Parenting is hard.
I've spent many years coasting through, thinking, "I've got this!". It's very humbling when you find out, "I don't got this".
And, so comforting to know that "God's got this."

4.  Pound some nails in the wall and hang some pretty pictures!
Worst case scenario, you have to take 3 minutes to patch and paint.
From "The Nesting Place" by Myquillyn Smith

5.  A Mother's Prayer:
"Lord, meet my kids at every turn!  May they not click a link, turn a corner, or have a conversation where they don't run smack into you!"


I'm so thankful to learn from wise people.
Like my mom, who looked at me and my sister-in-law at our Christmas Eve Brunch and said, "You girls.  Do not spend one minute of your time giving in to the feeling of Mom Guilt."
She said it with such conviction, and I needed to hear it so desperately, that it brought me to ugly tears.
I was a mess.  
But, let's all remember that our kids are not our Report Cards!
We are doing the gosh darn best that we know how to do.
If we are asking God to do this thing with us,
and if we are trying to educate ourselves on how to raise this generation, then I think we're doing OK.

Here's to a wonderful 2015!

XOXO Tiffany

"Living with purpose means wisely choosing and committing to a few of the best things for the season of life you're in."
Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, to number 3, YES YES YES!!! Amen to that. Here's to 2015, indeed! Loved your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!!! Have a wonderful 2015:).

      Delete