Saturday, January 31, 2015

January Books

I get a lot of my reading done while sitting in the car waiting
for my kids to come out of their sports.
I had it in my mind that I would read 60 books this year.
I'm thinking I'll probably hit somewhere between 48 and 60.
I read two books to the kids each month, and then I like to fit in 2-3 of my own.
(I only completed one read aloud this month...January kind of knocked us around a bit.)
My thoughts on my January Books:
"Look, Son, if there's one thing I've figured out about life,
it's that if you want to be happy,
you have to learn how to be happy on your own."
I'm going to say it right now, that this will probably be the best book 
that I'll read all year, and it will definitely make it onto my 
Top 10 Books Ever Read list.
This style of book is my favorite way to read history.
I have definitely found a new favorite author.
He's right up there with Laura Hillenbrand (Seabiscuit and Unbroken), 
Candace Millard (Destiny of the Republic),
and Erik Larson (Devil in the White City).
It's about a 1930's rowing team from Washington.
It documents their journey to the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
Just buy this book and gobble it up.

"Focus on what you're uniquely gifted at."
This was a great book to read around New Years (or any time!).
I got motivated and inspired to make this year a great one.
It really got me looking at my days/weeks/months/and years.
This book inspired me to track my hours in a day and set some goals.
Great, practical advice in this one!

"Our purpose as parents is to teach our children about the 
awe-inspiring wonder of who God is,
how to have a relationship with Him,
and what it looks like to live our lives for Him and through Him."
This was one of those books that made me want to start
this parenting thing all over again.
It was SO good.
Michelle really focuses on the heart of the child.
This one is not only great for parents just starting out,
but I found it so helpful as a parent of tweens/teens.
She shared a lot of "parenting teens" stories.

"I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis.
I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead.
I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept.
I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile....
And I was the lion you do not remember, who pushed the boat in which you lay,
a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat,
wakeful at midnight, to receive you."
 This is Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia series.
(Though we read it as Book 5 out of 7)
I have loved reading through this series with my kids.
We've had this series of books since the kids were little,
but they would never pick the books up to read!
I finally took matters into my own hands,
and started reading the series aloud to them.
Needless to say, we're all hooked.
I don't prefer "fantasy" books, but these books
have won me over.
I read in anticipation for Aslan to make his first
appearance in each book.
And then I cry and cry at every word he speaks.
And then I ask my kids to quickly bring me a tissue.
Every.  Single.  Time.
Reading aloud is definitely a more emotional experience
than reading quietly to yourself.
I highly recommend reading aloud to someone!
And, the Narnia books make outstanding read alouds!
So...yeah, I liked it.
C.S. Lewis knew God like nobody's business.

Blog Housekeeping:
-I've decided to continue to email the blog posts each week.  If you don't receive these posts via email, and would like to, just add your email address over on the right-hand side, and you will get the post emailed to you every Saturday.   The post goes live at 5:30am on Saturdays, but the email doesn't send until about 3pm.  I'm not tech-y enough to figure out how to change that.
So, for now, that's the deal.
-My goal is to write 52 blog posts this year.  They will consist of meal planning and recipes, books, sewing projects, and anything else that is listed over there (top right) under my bio.  I hope you enjoy reading my little blog and feel free to comment below!

XOXO Tiffany

"What you believe and where you aim your heart determines the direction and outcome of your entire life for eternity."
Spiritual Parenting by Michelle Anthony

2 comments:

  1. I was raised Unitarian but read the Chronicles of Narnia and enjoyed them as fantasy stories. When I was 14, I started looking for a meaningful faith and found the Episcopal Church. One day, listening to the Bible being read in church--I forget what specific passage, but one in which God enumerates some ways He cares for us--I realized, "Oh! He's Aslan! No, wait...Aslan is a fictional manifestation of God." Kind of a chicken-or-the-egg problem in my mind! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun story...thanks for sharing! I love it when the dots connect...feels like a hug from God:).

      Delete