Saturday, February 21, 2015

From the Sewing Room

Here's a little glimpse at what I accomplished in my sewing room over the past month...

I bought this Indian kantha quilt from my friend in New York who is a bit of a collector of kantha quilts.  I believe he has around 500 kantha quilts.  They are beautiful and unique and made by hand with old, recycled sarees.  I had a hard time cutting it up, as I was tempted to keep it as a quilt.  But, I originally wanted to make other things from it, so I took the plunge.  I made a tote (above) for my friend, Kelly, with the kantha and some denim that I bought while we were at Mood Fabrics in NYC last month.
Then, I made an envelope pillow case.  I have since removed the fringe from this pillow...it was just never quite right for me.
Here is the back of the pillow... The pillow case can be removed for washing.
I bought this snow leopard faux fur coat at The Brooklyn Flea, in New York.  There was a smudge of some sort on the back, the sleeves were dirty, and the pockets had holes in them.  I got a good deal on it, so I thought it was worth the risk.  I threw it into my washing machine on gentle, and the smudge and dirt vanished!
The lining came loose during the washing, which worked out just fine because I needed to get at the pockets anyway.
One of the pockets just needed to be re-stitched, but the other pocket was completely destroyed.  So, I removed that pocket lining, created a pattern for a new one, cut out the new pocket, and then attached it.
Last step...I pinned the lining and hand stitched in place.  Done!
I picked up this t-shirt while at Mood Fabrics.  I had a feeling I would do a re-fashion on it.  This t-shirt fit tight in the hips, and it just didn't lay how I wanted it to.
I looked into my stash of old t-shirts that I keep on hand for projects, and found the lower half of a black and white striped t-shirt.  I thought it would make perfect inserts!

I sliced the lower half of the striped t-shirt up the middle, and then sliced my gray t-shirt up the sides to a determined location (a few inches below the armpit).  Then I placed the gray t-shirt on my mannequin, letting it naturally hang with the slit open, and I pinned the striped fabric under the gray t-shirt.  I measured front and back of the striped fabric so that both sides of the t-shirt were equal.  Then, I zig-zagged it in place!
My new t-shirt!  It hangs so much better now!
My friend, Rachel, asked me to make a slip cover for her black leather ottoman.  This was a fun little project that really changed up the look of her living room (pictured in my entryway).
I also made 3 little headbands for a birthday gift.
Then, I was really needing a new ironing board cover, as you can see.  I found this cute little gray and white one at Marshall's for $7.99.
I started crocheting again this winter.  I haven't crocheted in years!  I have a large storage tub of yarn, and I just grabbed a color to practice on.  Then I grabbed another color and kept going.  I finally decided that I would make an "Ugly Blanket" by using up all the odds and ends of yarn that I had on hand.  I got to the point where I just had a lot of brown left, so I headed out to Goodwill and picked up tons of yarn for .99 a ball!  I'm making all my panels the same width and length, and then I plan to connect all my panels.  I'm thinking I'll need 7 panels.  Can't wait to see it when it's done!
I love working with yarn in the winter...a great way to keep warm while watching movies!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!  Next week...let's chat February Books.

XOXO Tiffany

"Tidying is just a tool, not the final destination.  The true goal should be to establish the lifestyle you want most once your house has been put in order."
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo

No comments:

Post a Comment